Family Faith (Children in Gr. 3-8 + Parents)
The life of faith first begins in the home with the faith life and practices of the parents being the first experiences children have with the faith. This sets the trajectory for how the child will live the faith as an adult, making family life crucial in the faith formation of the child. This is an empowering and ennobling task that can seem daunting for many families who have so many opportunities and responsibilities surrounding their family life. So, here at St. Gertrude we want to work closer with you, the parents, in the faith formation of your family. We know we cannot provide the full experience of the faith on our own and so we want to partner with and invite you into this process.
So, this year, 2020-2021, we’re shifting gears - transitioning to a “family-based” approach while still remaining “child-centered”. In Family Faith we will be gathering together in our families, and exploring the faith as a community.
For a list of FAQs regarding the Family Faith program, please see this document.
Family Faith 2020-2021
Families with children only in grades 3–8, or in both the Atrium (age 3 – grade 2) and grades 3-8 will participate in Family Faith:
On Campus Option:
- Whole families (i.e. parents and children) will be assigned to one formation session at St. Gertrude each month from October 2020 – April 2021 (7 sessions total).
- Each session will last approximately 50 minutes and sessions will be offered the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sundays of the month at both 9:00am and 11:00am in the St. Gertrude School cafeteria, so as to not conflict with the current Mass schedule. We will also make available a Tuesday session from 6:30-7:30pm.
- Families with children also participating in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (age 3 – grade 2) will be dropped off in their assigned Atrium.
- All remaining family members (i.e. parents and children in grades 3–8) will sit together at an assigned table in the school cafeteria. Tables will be appropriately spaced to allow for proper physical distancing from other households. Light refreshments will be provided.
- If a family has high school teens, those students are welcome to attend these family sessions.
- On Campus sessions will be limited to 12 families per session.
- Over the next two months, we will be designing a highly dynamic formation program that is family-based and child-centered. This program will aim to unlock the Bible by providing a foundational understanding of the basic plot. It will be capable of engaging your whole family during the once-per-month session and through simple and appropriate follow-up opportunities for home. Further details on the contents of the formation program will be available as October approaches.
Remote Learning Option:
- Families will attend one Family Faith session remotely each month from October 2020 – April 2021 (7 sessions total).
- Each session will last approximately 50 minutes and sessions will be available via livestream the 3rd Sunday of the month at both 9:00am and 11:00am.
- Prior to a remote formation session, we will coordinate with families to ensure they have all necessary materials.
- Families will need access to audio and video capabilities in order to participate in the remote learning options.
If your child is in 8th grade:
Please visit our Confirmation Formation page for additional details.